Translate Our Blog

Sunday, November 25, 2018

Our First Trip to the Movies

Keith and I used to go to the movies a lot more but since moving to Mexico over a year ago, we haven't gone at all. We have been trying to do more things that we don't normally do. 

So, on a Sunday afternoon we jumped in the car, drove to Playa Del Carmen and headed to Cinépolis Las Américas. They show movies in English with Spanish subtitles or movies dubbed in Spanish. We weren't really sure how to read the board to see which was which so I had to message a friend for help. Sadly we missed the movie we wanted to see due to the very long lines. So, we opted for the Fantastic Beast movie.

One thing we didn't take into account was the fact that Sunday's tend to be the day all the Mexican families are out and about - the beaches are packed, stores are full and apparently so are the movie theaters. The odd thing was there was another line but it was empty. I didn't pay much attention to it until it was too late. It appears you can join their movie club for $46 pesos ($2.25 USD for the year). I kid you not, we stood in line for 1 hour to get tickets and then 45 for popcorn... Not sure why we opted to do that but I think we figured we are here, might as well. I did try and but the movie pass while in line but was having issues with my signal. Anyways, next time I will be prepared with the membership as those lines only had a few people in them...

As for food, we tried a new place to us - Celia Taco's. We both enjoyed al pastor tacos, a cheese and chorizo appetizers and plenty of sauces to choose from. The food was really good and the restaurant had a really cool hip vibe to it. On the way out they had a Bart Simpson as El Chappo (El Barto) and a Make Playa Great Again sign - it gave me a chuckle. My kinda place!!

1 comment: