Translate Our Blog

Monday, January 21, 2019

It's Official: I Have Lost My Visa

Don't I look thrilled?
Back in early October, Keith and I applied to renew our temporary resident visa for 3 years. One thing we have found to be consistent in Mexico is nothing is done in a timely manner. My visa is still in process. Keith however managed to get his renewed, a week ago. 

When you have a visa in Mexico you have to fill out exit documentation with immigration every time you leave. Since we have been waiting for ours to be renewed, we have had to buy exit visas every time we left since starting the renewal in October. You can't just leave, you need permission or you risk losing your visa.

Knowing we were leaving for 15 months we were trying to find out if that would affect the process since we wouldn't be in the country. It seems it would have... Apparently they need to take our finger prints again (really? It's not like they change from the last time we did them...) and then have a 2-3 week waiting period to get the card. With us leaving ay a specific date, the timing just didn't work. So, I can't wait any longer as we leave on Friday. So, today, I went and gave it up... 

I was there for 1.5 hours and walked out with a single piece of paper with my photo stating I am giving it up and I have 20 days to leave the country. Adios, Mexico! See ya in 2020!

No comments:

Post a Comment